Re: Performance of UTL_FILE package

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1998/06/28

Niklas

I can't make comparisons with the Pro*XXX family, but I don't have any complaints. It *is* limited to explicitly stated directories in the init.ora (or the ill-advised * allowing all directories; I hope Oracle upgrades this feature to genuine wildcards).

What I find useful is that it allows you to monitor progress in a long query. For example, if I'm loading a 50 000 record file, I can create a count as I loop round and every 500 (say) output the total count so far.

Len