Re: Personal Oracle 8 & D/2000

From: Darren Eccles <d.g.e_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:56:30 +0100

Jeremy Russell wrote:

> I'm trying to make D/2000 ( Forms 4.5.8.1.2 ) connect to a Personal
> Oracle 8.0.3 database, both running on the same Win95 PC. I have used
> SQL*Net Easy Config to try to set up the necessary service entries in
> ORACLEHOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora.
>
> I've tried to use both TCP & SPX protocols - when I run the Forms
> Designer and choose File, Connect - entering SYSTEM/MANAGER and
> leaving the database name blank results in this message:
>
> ORA-03121: no interface driver connected, function not performed
>
> SQL*Plus 8 works just fine - no database connection string needs to be
> entered, just a user name and password. SQL*Plus 3 does not connect
> to the running database at all - although I don't think that's
> important, except for that this is used to create some of the sample
> data for working with D2000.

I've also worked on win95, Ora 8 and SQL*Plus 8.0. On a standalone machine you connect to the local (Ora8.0) database by default from SQL*Plus8.0. However, to connect using D2000 (Forms 4.5 version) you will need to start the Listener program. You will also need a valid TCP/IP stack set up (eg using TCP/IP address 127.0.01 as a dummy) and a valid entry in the tnsnames.ora file (you can achieve this using SQL*Net 2.0 easy config). I found it possible to connect in this way. However, if you want to do any OO stuff or use the new datatypes (eg LOBs) in Forms 4.5 for example, you will find that it's not possible.

> I was advised that I needed to create a "tnsnames" entry that
> specified the "Bequeath" drivers - when I try to modify my current
> entry to select this driver, I get a message specifying that the
> Bequeath driver is not installed.

Bequeath does not work with Oracle8 at present so forget it.

Hope this helps