Re: NT vs. UNIX for oracle server

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:26:56 GMT

I suspect most respondents will be more at home with Unix server technology than NT and this *might* (only might) bias responses. I'm no different.

The only significant system I've run on NT had about 70 users. As is (I think) typical of such systems, it was originally designed for Access with a VB front end and the developers discovered that Access could not provide the security or performance required.

The port was quite good (I've since worked on a Unix-based port from Access that I could right a horror novel about!) but we still had problems with the access link: it would become corrupt after every 500 or so accesses. (This isn't as worrying as it sounds but did require manual intervention and short down-times.) We also found that NT Virtual Memory kept throwing a wobbler - and we never did get to the bottom of it.

I suspect the real response? (as with different varieties of Unix) depends on a number of factors. I would suggest these include:

Even with factors like these, I guess there is no simple solution. For example: although I've heard of NT systems with 40+ Gbytes of data, I would be uncomfortable with more than 2 or 3 Gbytes; however, if I also have no Unix skills on site, the cost of a Unix solution (however desirable) may become prohibitive. OTOH, our NT system ran on two compaq PCs linked in hot stand-by mode with common raid disks - all for < 30 000 UK Pounds. All else being equal, it would be difficult to get anything better in the Unix world for a comparable cost, I suspect.)

No answers. Some thoughts. Hope they are useful.

Len