Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/06/25

[Thornton Prime <thornton_at_yoyoweb.com>]

| I have heard of Oracle running on Linux using SCO binaries and
| iBCS, but since this is not supported by Oracle I would hate to
| invest money in several oracle installs only to find that things
| don't work quite right. A good Oracle port would be able to use
| raw partitions for data too, something I know
| Linux+iBCS+Oracle/SCO can't do.

why on earth would you want to use raw partitions? if your database needs are in the same ballpark as what PostgreSQL providers, chances are that raw partitions would be a complete waste.

let the OS worry about how to best use the disk. talking to disk is the responsibility of the OS, not some random application that thinks it will do the job better. raw partitions are usually DBA superstition on smaller systems.

| We are currently looking at Interbase for Linux. It shows
| promise, but we haven't committed yet. I have heard swirling
| rumors of Sybase, Informix, and even DB2 for Linux so (unless
| Oracle commits to a Linux port) we probably are going to reserve
| judgement for 6 months or so.

have a look at Solid. it is extremely portable, easy to use, stable and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, so you won't have to fork over a lot of dough to install it. (depending on what you want to use it for it might be a good idea to look into the various licenses they offer).

  http://www.solidtech.com/

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."