Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Bob Withers <bwit_at_pobox.com>
Date: 1998/06/25

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <35925E6B.9E831E1F_at_yoyoweb.com>, thornton_at_yoyoweb.com says...
> Thornton Prime wrote:

 [snip]
> > > Solaris x86 v7.3 $1,475.00 <---------
> >
> > Maybe we will give Solaris x86 a second looksie. Thanks.
>
> One of my comrades told me that we DID look at Oracle for Solaris
> x86, but that it was compiled in the Solaris "compatability
> format" -- so it is actually a cross platform Sparc-Intel binary
> for Solaris 2.6+
>
> Does anyone out there have real experience with Oracle/Solaris
> x86?

As I mentioned, I'd worked with V7.2 under Solaris x86 for about 6 months. The work I was doing was as an application developer and I left before we had got to the point of testing performance. During development it seemed to work well and was very responsive.

> Is it indeed compiled to Sun's cross-platform binary format? If
> so, are there any performance consequences. I can't see why there
> would be (other than a small start-up cost and maybe a small
> dynamic-library linking hit), but this was why "the powers that
> be" decided against Solaris x86 and Oracle.

I don't know about this but Solaris x86 is certainly not a first level port for Oracle like Solaris Sparc is. In my experience technical support is not as good, fixes are slower coming, and new versions don't appear as quickly. Still, if you need a supported Oracle on an x86 platform it's not a bad choice although you might also consider UnixWare. personally, I'd steer clear of SCO OpenServer.

--

Bob Withers              Do or do not, there is no try.
bwit_at_pobox.com                                  Yoda