Re: About Oracle Rdb

From: <shreterh_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:37:12 GMT

I was member of an Rdb DBA team couple years back (now an Oracle DBA). I liked RDB! Here's my tour (but check current facts before you leap): - Your SQL is still usable, of course create syntax is different - Stored procedures (when I left RDB) were very limited compared to Oracle's. I think triggers were different and fewer types. - Utilities are very different (main command, of which everything else is a switch, is RMU). Backup and reload is easy and fast. The unload and reload (like imp/exp) are very fast (but table at a time) - Redo is called "AIG" (after image journal) and takes (took) a little practice to understand and use - Rollbacks were per individual and were VAX files (but I forget what they were called) -- a little dangerous if you let the users at them (we just put something in user's startup to force those files to a common undeletable area) - There aren't (weren't) roles -- but there is (was) a strange hierarchy of identifiers and permissions based on the operating system granted identifiers (you could write validate routines in code) - There was an ability to partition one table among disks (e.g. this range here, that range there), but it wasn't as extensive as Oracle's partition. - As you said, you may need VMS knowlege -- I never got to use the NT version (was almost available when I changed jobs)