How to 'escape" Ampersand (&) on insert into table

From: michael t hudacko <hudacko_at_bbdo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 1998 13:43:46 GMT

Need ideas. Trying to make OracleDB "ignore" the ampersand within a string of characters...
I thought I could double-up the single quotes... doesn't seem to work. I need to provide logic to
3GL programmer whose objective is to break up a text file into key fields which WILL CONTAIN AMPERSANDS!

Example a table named "Test" has one field defined VARCHAR2(2000)

Insert into Test Values ('Bugs & Daffy'); this statement translates as substitution variable Daffy.

Insert into Test Values ('Bugs'||'&'||'Daffy'); this statement gets the job done. Field String_Field contains: 'Bugs&Daffy'

Thanks In Advance Received on Thu Jun 25 1998 - 08:43:46 CDT