Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/06/24

  *sigh* another silly thread about this OS versus that OS. I really   would wish that people could limit themselves to relevant discussion   on the topic of Oracle on Linux. lacking perspective and lacking   knowledge seems to be pretty commonplace when database types gather   around the camp fire to exchange common myths about operating   systems.

  please conduct my-os-is-better-than-yours flamewars on some other   newsgroup.

[guy ruth hammond <grh_at_onlinemagic.com>]

| you can't run a serious db on a toy OS, my advice is to dump linux
| and buy a Sun.

many people do not wish to dump Linux simply because many "serious" operating systems are unable to offer them the performance, stability and flexibility offered by for instance Linux.

what makes you think that Linux is a toy OS? surely it has proven to be more able to cope with many of the tasks for which some people would use a Sun or even an NT box.

please justify yourself.

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."