Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Zachary Kessin <zkessin_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: 1998/06/24

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_onlinemagic.com> writes:

> Thornton Prime wrote:
>
> > We have a couple offices, both are heavily peppered with Linux.
> > We have been looking for a good database server. We are happy
> > with PostgreSQL, but realize its limitations and know that we
> > will be running into them fairly soon.
>
> what's next, Oracle for atari ST? Oracle on the sinclair spectrum?!
>
> you can't run a serious db on a toy OS, my advice is to dump linux
> and buy a Sun.

Linux is not a toy OS, it is quite robust. You can get the SCO version of Oracle to run on linux. But I've never done it. MySQL is supposed to be good, but it depends on what you are doing, there are a number of things that it lacks by design. So for some types of things it just wont do the job. On the other hand if it will do what you want it will do it very well.

I've been told Yard and Solid are both quite nice on Linux. And Borland's ported Interbase v4 (Version 5 Real Soon Now).

BTW no matter what you chose Linux supports RAID In the kernel. Good Luck Linux will make a kick-ass DB server given a high end box.

I've heard rumors that a sybase port may happen, but they are just rumors.

--Zach Kessin Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT