Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED. Datafile cannot be read.

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/06/24

A couple of leading questions:

1-Why was the db brought down? Did it crash or was it deliberate? WHy?

2-Does this datafile contain all your rollback segments? or are there other datafiles for the tablespace that contain rollbacks?

3-Has the read/write permissions changed for the file and maybe Oracle can't see it.

In ignorance of other possibilities, mount the database, vary the datafile offline, then open the database. You can then drop the datafile and recreate it. This might work if it contains all your rollback segments or is expansion area for segments located in other files.

I assume from the file name that the file contains only rollback data.

Other thought---if the db is being brought up because of a crash and the system has not been rebooted, there may be a lock on the file from the earlier up time that has not been cleared. A system reboot might do it.