Re: Cached tables

From: Bert Scalzo <bscalz01_at_7-11.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:45:39 -0500

Ian,

Marking the tables as cached does not really do much for you. Cached means added to the end of the LRU list for the DB buffer cache versus the beginning for non-cached. In reality, this just means they MAY stay in memory if no one does a big/demanding query. My point is that cached does not buy you much in the way of tuning. If you are under Oracle 8 and can place the cached tables into the KEEP area (by themselves), then cached would have a measurable and repeatable effect.

As for indexing, the explain plans are the only way to be sure. I have some small tables (row length < 50 bytes and row counts < 5000 rows). My tables run an order of magnitude faster with indexes, even though the tables are very small. The full table scans were more expensive in my case. But you need to check your situation based upon the queries being issued. SQLPlus autotrace is real useful for this kind of testing. Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 09:45:39 CDT