Newbie questions

From: Ketil Z Malde <ketil_at_ii.uib.no>
Date: 24 Jun 1998 16:24:47 +0200

Hi,

sorry to intrude with what I am sure are pretty naive questions, but I *have* tried to read the documentation, FAQs and whatnot. Anyway, I have two Oracle installations, one local and one at a remote site.

My problem is that I want to move the contents of the local server to the remote one, overwriting the data already there. I've tried to:

exp full=y the local contents, ftp'ing the resulting dmp file to the remote machine, and doing imp full=y destroy=y there. It fails to work, complaining multiply that

	"CREATE TABLESPACE" fails, since objects already exist
	(shouldn't destroy=y take care of this?)

and then Oracle error 1119, mentioning an absolute path to a DB file that exists on the local server, but not on the remote. Any clues?

I've also tried to copy over a tar of the complete database, but when starting up, it complains that it needs recovery, and won't mount. The control file seems to contain absolute path references, but I couldn't work out how to fix this. Giving the "recover" command in svrmgrl asked for a log file name, and subsequently terminated with a "stat error" and without creating the file. Am I missing something?

I guess I'm fairly lost here, any pointers, suggestions, or clues (and I do mean *any*) are most welcome.

~kzm Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 09:24:47 CDT