Re: Use of parallel query

From: MotoX <at_at_at.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:57:24 +0100

Potentially. Check your execution plans carefully and you I/O distribution. I recently set-up Oracle 8 on an NT server and found that (forced) parallel scans were slower, even though we had added more CPUs to the server. Problem was the extra horsepower just bottlenecked on I/O. After setting up the db across striped drives (3 of) the performance doubled. Nice.

It's the old "Tune. Check. Tune." loop. You can't do enough of it when you change configuration, IMHO.

Also, read the Oracle Manuals on Parallel Query, as not everything in Oracle is parallelised and not every application benefits from it. Tread carefully.

MotoX.