Re: Shutdown problem

From: <Me_at_this.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:01:54 GMT

Following this thread, many people seem to complain of "hanging" when using shutdown immediate. What you must all realize is with a shutdown immediate, any transaction currently active in the database will be terminated and its work will be ROLLED BACK. This means if a transaction has been updating constantly for 30 minutes without performing a commit, it is going to take approximately 30 minutes to rollback the changes. If a shutdown abort is done, the database comes down immediately (to the delight of many a dba), but the difference is the rollback is deferred until the next startup.

Pre-7.3, that meant the startup could take about 30 minutes in the above mentioned scenario. With 7.3 and beyond, there is a feature enabled by default called deferred transaction rollback, where either the first transaction to touch a block after startup (or smon when it is posted) will rollback any non-active uncommited transactions left in the transaction list in the block. This may slow down some transactions after startup. To see if this is happening, select status from dba_rollback_segs, any status of "PARTIAL ONLINE" (I think, I know PARTIAL is part of it), tells you some cleanup is going on. SMON will not clean all of the blocks up at once, it will do a predetermined amount (20-50), finish those, and then do another set the next time it posts.

HTH, Frank