What is Oracle8 Internal date storage format

From: <danmorales_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:01:28 GMT

Question: What is the internal date storage format for Oracle 8.x ?

Situation:

The internal date storage format for Oracle 7x was seven (7) bytes. The seven bytes were:

   byte1 century (excess 100 notation)    byte2 year (excess 100 notation)    byte3 month
   byte4 day

   byte5   hour    (excess 1 notation)
   byte6   minute  (excess 1 notation)
   byte7   second  (excess 1 notation)

However, in Oracle 8.03 and 8.04, this seems to have changed. If I go through SQL to select a date into a date field, I can access the date correctly. However, if I want to parse the raw data myself (Example: say I extract row data that changed from a replication queue), the data is no longer like it was in Oracle 7.x as described above.

Please email me directly at: dmorales_at_prismsolutions.com

Thanks,
Dan Morales
Prism Solutions, Inc.
dmorales_at_prismsolutions.com