Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/06/22

["David T. Bath" <david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au>]

| BTW: Oracle could REALLY kill the competition by including the Linux
| OS on the installation CD. They could then say 1. A complete
| server in a box 2. You change the kernel, you are on your own 3.
| Do some performance tests and blow NT/MS-SQLserver out of the water

that was a very good idea indeed. the problem is politics. Oracle is probably in bed with half the large UNIX vendors and they have to know that if Linux becomes a popular database platform for Oracle, Linux will probably provide a better platform for running Oracle in companies that would otherwise use mundane¹ UNIX setups or even NT.

¹) just so we preemt all the DBA-bozos who always scream "but a PC is

   not a $4 million HP server with RAIDS, failover and paralel option"    every time someone says that Linux is a good Oracle platform.

-Bjørn Received on Mon Jun 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT