Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/06/22

[Thornton Prime <thornton_at_yoyoweb.com>]

| We have a couple offices, both are heavily peppered with Linux.
| We have been looking for a good database server. We are happy
| with PostgreSQL, but realize its limitations and know that we
| will be running into them fairly soon.

I have no way of knowing what your database needs are, but have you looked at Solid? we have used Solid for a few projects now and for our uses it has proven to be very satisfying.

  check out http://www.solidtech.com/

not only is the software very satisfying and extremely easy to use, but the people at Solid are very helpful if you have a problem. the one time we actually discovered a bug they were able to provide us with a fixed version only a few hours after we contacted them via email.

email me if you have any questions regarding Solid. (no, I am not in the business of selling software, I'm just a satisfied customer).

| We would like to consider an Oracle purchase, but until they start
| getting off their NT ass and do a Linux port (which from what I hear
| may already be done ... just held for marketing and support reasons)
| they won't make any sale here. We don't want to run NT or Solaris
| (and won't even consider SCO or most other Unicies).

it is sort of tragic that they support SCO but not Linux. I can't imagine that SCO is anywhere near Linux in growth (although SCO has a considerable installed base).

(rumor has it that the SCO version of Oracle is significantly faster  under Linux than under SCO on the same hardware)

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."