Re: Shutdown problem

From: George Dau <gedau_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:25:26 GMT

Alfons Riesebeek <A.Riesebeek_at_wxs.nl> wrote:

]Gilberto Casiraghi <edipi_at_candy.it> schrijfbewerkingen: > Hello all !
]> To avoid this situation I change the shutdown script in this way:
]> alter system checkpoint
]> shutdown abort
]> startup
]> shutdown
]> So the db will be ALWAYS closed and with the checkpoint I don't
]> lose any data (I hope!).
]> What do you think about it ? Is there a better way ? (I want to be SURE
]> the shutdown CLOSE the db, so the backup procedure can end rightly).
]> Any suggestion it will be appreciated.

]You should do a shutdown immediate. In this way Oracle rolls back
]actions of processes with are still running before killing them.
]
]In most cases this works fine. Never do a shutdown abort !!

I have never had a problem with a shutdown abort. It is the only way to bring down a V7 database. Shutdown immediate will hang. Shutdown abort is good and fast, the recovery afterwards may take time though and make sure you have left any necessary archived logs around after the backup.

I have even tar'ed up the database files, logs etc from a running, on-line database; put them on a different host; and started a clone of the database - without shutting down the oringinal.

Note: there is a window in your script that could allow a user to connect between the startup and shutdown. Use a "startup restrict". --

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)
\_,--\_/  Home: gedau_at_pobox.com      Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au ( \/ )
      v   WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W