Re: Datafile deleted URGENT

From: Saar <sxmaxoz_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:24:55 -0700

ecbdu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Question: someone deleted my datafiles on my Oracle Vesion 7.3.3 running
> on SUN Solaris 2.55. Currently the database is complaining of read error
> and cannot insert into tables, as these datafiles were used for index.

Two ways out of your situation:If it's just index data you can completely lose that tablespace and recreate it, thenrecreate all needed indexes.

> I have tried using "alter database datefile ' ' offline drop" and then
> do "recover database until cancel" but it still does not work.

Second way is with recovery: you need to "create" that deleted file, either byrestoring a backup or using the alter database create datafile command.
In the first case you'd need redo from that backup until now. In second case (create
fresh datafile) you would need all redo generated on that file since it's original
creation (this method is rarely used).

In your case I would assume it would be faster to do the recovery since it's just one file,
but then again it's not an option if you are not in archive mode, then just recreate that
tablespace.

export/dmp file is not applicable here since it's index data, the dmp file will only hold
the create index commands which you should have saved away somewhere else, so just re-run
that script...

Saar.

--

((  /\\  /\\ ||)  |\V/| /\\ /\\ >/  Principal Performance Engineer