Free space fragmented

From: Roy Varghese <rvarghese_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:04:54 -0500

Hi guys,

I have run into a typical problem, please suggest the best way out.
We are running PeopleSoft databases, and some of the free tablespaces
have got very fragmented. In fact I find that I have free space in the
tablespace, but its so fragmented, I am unable to allocate it. Especially
the tablespaces containing indexes.
Whats the best way to coalesce all the free space. We are running
Oracle 7.2.3 and it doesnt support ALTER TABLESPACE COALESCE,
but even the COALESCE command wont work on non-contiguous
free spaces.

Also is there any way to preallocate extents to an index while creating it.
Something like the equivalent of ALLOCATE EXTENT used for tables.
For example, say I have the following free extent sizes
1000 K
2000 K
3000 K
And I would like to create an Index of approx 6000 K in size. How can
I fit the index in the free extents available (i.e. with 3 or less fragments) ??!!!

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!!

Roy Varghese Received on Mon Jun 22 1998 - 13:04:54 CDT