Oracle data ok, control files not.

From: John Stoffel <jfs_at_fluent.com>
Date: 22 Jun 1998 12:05:59 -0400

Over the weekend we had a disk go bad on our Oracle server which serves as the backend of an Accounting system. We're running Oracle 7.3.3 on Solaris 2.5.1. We have all the .dbf files on a filesystem on their own mirrored 4Gb disk. The rest of the control files, archive logs, etc are on a set of 2 striped 4Gb disks that are mirrored to another set of 2 stripped 4Gb disks. One of those 4Gb disks died over the weekend.

During the fixit time, we managed to blow away all the oracle control files, logs, etc. But the data is not touched at all. We restored the files from the thursday night/friday morning backup and tried to restart the oracle server. Now we get the following error:

  database "LWSN" possibly left running when system went down (system crash?).   Notify Database Administrator.

  Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

  Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994, 1995. All rights reserved.

  Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.0.0 - Production Release   PL/SQL Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

  SVRMGR> Connected to an idle instance.
  SVRMGR> ORACLE instance shut down.
  SVRMGR>

  Server Manager complete.

  Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

  Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994, 1995. All rights reserved.

  Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.0.0 - Production Release   PL/SQL Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

  SVRMGR> Connected to an idle instance.   SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.

  Total System Global Area      36489492 bytes
  Fixed Size                       39808 bytes
  Variable Size                 23178644 bytes
  Database Buffers              13107200 bytes
  Redo Buffers                    163840 bytes
  Database mounted.
  ORA-01122: database file 5 failed verification check
  ORA-01110: data file 5: '/oracledb/users01.dbf'
  ORA-01207: file is more recent than control file - old control file
  SVRMGR> So we'd like to try and save our changes made to the data on Friday, but I'm not sure how this would happen. Should we just roll back the .dbf files and indexes to the backups we took on thursday night/friday?

How do we bring the control file into consistency with the .dbf file?

Any hints really appreciated.

John

     John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Fluent, Inc.
        jfs@fluent.com - http://www.fluent.com - 603-643-2600 x341
             Geological time is not money.  - Mark Twain