Re: Redo logs only useful if archiving on

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:34:22 -0500

Yes. We have 4GB in our archive log directory. This is backed up and purged daily. Sometimes, we also get surprised by heavy updating and create more than 4GB in a day. We monitor the archive directory free space throughout the day (and night) and trigger extra jobs to backup and purge the archive directory.

Since we are using EBU with a third party network backup, sometimes we can't get the archive directory backed up and purged before it fills up! We have another directory that is reserved for export / import reorgs and we have a script that switches our archive destination to the reorg directory. This ends the archiver stuck condition immediately. After the normal archive directory is purged, we return to the original archive destination and mv the files.

#!/bin/ksh
. ~/obackup_deere/set_locale.sh
svrmgrl <<EOF
connect internal
archive log start to '${ORACLE_HOME}/sapreorg/${ORACLE_SID}arch'; exit