Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: David T. Bath <david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au>
Date: 1998/06/20

brh_at_btic.com wrote:

> What is a TAR and what phone number should I call one into?
>
> I would love to bug Oracle about releasing a Linux version but don't
> know who to call, since I'm not an Oracle customer (yet).
>
> In article <GSGe1.30$%3.1582016_at_news.ipass.net>,
> "David Sisk" <davesisk_at_ipass.net> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > There currently is no port of Oracle for Linux, although I have seen notes
> > where some really bright people have gotten Oracle for SCO unix to run on
> > Linux.
> >
> > There may not be a port, but there is currently an enhancement request
> > asking for a Linux port. There enhancement request # is 663419. Call in a
> > TAR asking that this enhancement request be implemented!

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

 I'm waiting on a SCO-Oracle-8, but I have got 7.1.6 and 7.3 to work fine.

The installation is a bastard, but here is a quick note on how to get 7.3 workgroup for SCO
up and running on Linux. THIS DOES NOT NEED A LINK STAGE ON LINUX. DO NOT MAIL ME ABOUT THIS.
1. Make sure you have an iBCS kernel module loaded at boot.

    (RH50 is kernel 2.0.32, the ibcs they give is wrong. Built ibcs yourself. I had to diable

     the xenix/286 option to get it made) 2. Make your $ORACLE_BASE/admin $ORACLE_BASE/data $ORACLE_BASE/product/7.3

    directories by hand

3. export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/7.3
4. make your /etc/oratab by hand
5. Ideally you should rebuild the GNU binutils with the --targets=all options to
include

    the ability to look at SCO objects. It might be handy for linking. 6. mount /cdrom ; cd /cdrom/server
7 find . -print | cpio -pvdm $ORACLE_HOME 8. create oracle, dba users, groups, etc 9. cd $ORACLE_BASE ; chown -R oracle:dba 10. If the executables are not executables, you need to run $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/oiuncomp

    to uncompress them.. Files (YMTRANS.TBL, I think) on the CD will be sed-able into a

    script to do this in batch
11. set up /etc/profile.d/oracle.sh to include PATH 12 Copy dbhome, oraenv, etc to /usr/local/bin

    Oraenv is broken around ulimit and the osh invocation. Blow this bit away 13. Use a ls -lR from a working Oracle box to figure out permissions where files might need

    to be owned by root, set[ug]id, etc
14. Edit your $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile*/* 15. su - oracle
16 svrmgrl

    connect internal
    create database .........

Notes:
You need a RECENT version of LessTif if you want to use the GUI tools. For some unknown reason the GUI tools have problems unless you fully qualify the

DISPLAY as a number: e.g. 123.123.123.123:1.0 What you can get away with, usually is 127.0.0.1:0.0. You can strip most executables, but you will need to have a fully-featured binutils installation
to do this.

BTW: Oracle could REALLY kill the competition by including the Linux OS on the installation
CD. They could then say

1.  A complete server in a box
2.  You change the kernel, you are on your own
3.  Do some performance tests and blow NT/MS-SQLserver out of the water

Performance Notes:
1. Have had it up for 6 months at a time. 2. Have on a 32Mb 133Mhz box had the following:

    2 databases, 10 connections, all slurping hard and happily, even while I was running X, ftpd, etc.
3. Even had the server up and running and serving from a 486/66Mhz/16Mb.

    Providing: Database started up before loading X     After that, I could run X, NFS server, etc, etc, etc. This was done in a commercial environment.

    It was mainly used so processes on Linux could talk through a local sqlplus through to the AIX

    server.
4. Tested on RedHat 4.2, 5.0

David T. Bath at home
david.bath_at_nre.vic.gov.au
Phone: +613 9500 0894    Mobile: 015 824 171 (not always on)
Office: Global Consulting Ph:+613 9347 7511    Fax:+613 9347 0182