Re: ORACLE on LINUX

From: Thornton Prime <thornton_at_yoyoweb.com>
Date: 1998/06/20

Joel Garry wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:53:38 GMT, brh_at_btic.com <brh_at_btic.com> wrote:
> >What is a TAR and what phone number should I call one into?
> >
> >I would love to bug Oracle about releasing a Linux version but don't
> >know who to call, since I'm not an Oracle customer (yet).
>
> Can't do a TAR unless you are a customer. You could bug a salesperson but
> I don't know that that would do any good.

Funny way for Oracle to do business ... you can't request a new platform unless you are an existing customer, but you can't become a customer until they support your platform ...

We have a couple offices, both are heavily peppered with Linux. We have been looking for a good database server. We are happy with PostgreSQL, but realize its limitations and know that we will be running into them fairly soon. We would like to consider an Oracle purchase, but until they start getting off their NT ass and do a Linux port (which from what I hear may already be done ... just held for marketing and support reasons) they won't make any sale here. We don't want to run NT or Solaris (and won't even consider SCO or most other Unicies).

thornton Received on Sat Jun 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT