Re: [Q] Two questions

From: Seneque <Jean-Sebastien.Chillet.LMI_at_no_spam!renault.fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:14:11 +0200

vlpa_at_daleen.com a écrit dans le message <6m88af$rho$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Hello,
>
>I would like to know if this is true that Oracle 7.3 does not
>support table fragmentation and index fragmentation across
>sever db spaces. And if this is true how do people
>deal with large database for OLTP applications with several
>hundred concurrent connections?

That's true ; though O7.3 does support star & snowflake models access optimization and limited yet somewhat artificial table partitionning through the use of partition views (see "Create view" instruction in SQL Ref. manual).

What do you consider to be a large DB ?

50 gigs OLTP DB processing is no match for most parallel servers : what is your target environment and have you an estimation of the global data in/out flow ?

For the hundreds of concurrent connections your problem, keep this in mind : does all of them need to access any data in the DB <=> can they access to a Datamart rather than full DB ?

>And the second question is:
>do oracle stored procedures support
>recursion (i.e. can call themselfs)

 In doubt, try it.
This Q is somewhat trivial : it won't take long to prove this point wrong or right. Good luck !