Re: Transfering data from Sybase to Oracle

From: <jcrozier_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:28:46 GMT

Currently I'm working on porting apps and stored procedures from Sybase to Oracle. As my first app was in PB, it was easy enough to use the pipeline painter to pipe over the data. Now, I'm converting the SP's to oracle syntax and used PB to pipe the data to the new Oracle objects. If you have PB at your disposal you'll find it's a snap. You can connect to both databases and define how you want to port over the data. Hope this helps.

I'm finding it a challenge to convert the SP's. Did you need equivalent's for RowCount and/or @@ error? These SP's are called from a Java front end through a JDBC middleware. I have concerns about LONG datatypes ( a couple of tables in Sybase have two text fields, so I created 2 new table and views to work around). So my big issues are 1)how the procedures will pass the message string on a select of multiple rows. Will it handle strings in excess of 2000K when the statement includes a select of 2 LONGs from a view. Much simpler in sybase with Transact SQL. 2) Also did you have problems passing parameters? I declared a cursor to fetch into local variables and concatenated the variables into a string to be passed back thru a formal parameter.

I'd be interested in hearing back on your experience converting Stored Procedures.
Thanks
JC