Re: Redo logs only useful if archiving on

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:25:19 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:05:36 -0700, Frank Calfo <TFIAM_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Seems to me that the redo logs can only help you recover
>data up to the point of failure if the database is in archive log mode.
>Is that true?
>
>Also we have carefully planned our database to place the redo logs
>on separate drives in case of media failure. But again, unless
>we're running in archive log mode, this step doesn't really seem to
>buy us much in terms of data protection. True ?
>
>(I assume we would still want to consider which drives the redo logs
>are on even without archiving for performance reasons.)
>
>For those of you running in archive log mode, is it working well or
>is it so cumbersome that its not worth the trouble? Would cold-backups
>be sufficient?

You're confusing archived logs with online logs. The database still needs online logs even if you're not in archive log mode. They'll be used for recovery too if the required data is still in them.

Cold backups are fine as long as you can afford to take your database down. If you do switch to archive log mode, just remember to include backing up and purging of archived logs as part of your backup/recovery strategy.
--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you. Received on Fri Jun 19 1998 - 10:25:19 CDT