Re: SQL*NET connect string ? what SQL*NET connect string

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1998/06/18

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:34:37 +1000, Philip Huskisson <philiph_at_oup.com.au> wrote:

>Alfons Riesebeek wrote in message <6m5c77$evs$1_at_hdxf08.telecom.ptt.nl>...
>>To see which databases you have : ps -ef|grep pmon
>
>well doing this revealed a process 'ORA_PMON_D01'
>Am I correct in assuming this is the database instance?
>at least the D01 is the instance.
>
>>First find the listener.ora on the unix box : $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
>>or find / -name listener.ora -print
>I revealed NO listener.ora I assume that this means that this process has
>not been started ... or worse yet maybe not installed (yikes)

You need to create one there, see your documentation.

>>Also a listener process must be running : ps -ef|grep listener
>This process was not running nor could I find an executable to execute (hehe
>I'd often like to execute a computer)

You should be able to say:
lsnrctl start
lsnrctl status

>I suppose it would be too much to hope that all I need to do is find the
>executable and run it as either root or Oracle's default user ?

Put the following after your oracle startup (depending on hardware, it might be something like /etc/init.d/dbora):

su - oracle -c "lsnrctl start"

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com