Re: LOCAL INDEXES

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:15:42 +0100

In article <6m922i$hbo$1_at_news.worldonline.nl>, John Vernes <vernes.j_at_consunet.nl> writes
>Hi, can anyone tell what local indexes are????
>
>If I am correct it are indexes placed on partitioned tables.

local indexes are partitioned indexes, ie: yes, indexes on each of the partitions on a partitioned table.
>I also read that doing this would cause indexes to be smaller and
>quicker accessed.

Yes, also helps when truncating a partition. If you had global indexes then they would be marked unusable after the truncate partition.
Steve
--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Received on Thu Jun 18 1998 - 17:15:42 CDT