Re: Recovery question

From: Saar <sxmaxoz_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:44:23 -0700

Gilberto Casiraghi wrote:

> Now suppose a disaster happens and I lose ALL the physical files
> of my database.

ok.. he also lost the control files...

> The only chance I have it is to recover the files from the weekly
> backup and then apply all the archived redo log saved to tape.

right...

> But after I start (mount) the db and I give the 'recover database'
> command the system return this error: ORA-00264: no recovery required.

That's normal.. you just brought a complete cold backup including logfiles... database hasno way to know it needs recovery...

> (maybe becouse the weekly backup is consistent !)

it is, just like all cold backups should be.

> How is it possible to recover the database till the last saved redo
> log ?

you have to tell the database you are using a backed up controlfile using the command:recover database using backup controlfile; <suggestion of log>
Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

it will give a suggestion of a log, if it looks good, just type auto.

when all logs applied and you try to issue:

alter database open;

you will get:

ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

no problem you say, we'll try with the NORESETLOGS (sounds less harmful) it comes back and says:

ORA-01588: must use RESETLOGS option for database open

well... beurocracy... fine put the RESETLOGS... database opens, however you've just obsoleted all your backups, since you are starting to generate redo with thread #1...

take a cold backup as soon as you can, because the one you have from before the RESETLOGS is no good.
you will not be able to rollforward (applying redo) beyond this RESETLOGS point...

> Or I have to do a different weekly backup ?

your backups are ok, just try not to lose your controlfiles and you won't have to deal with this "using backup controlfile" option that then forces you to RESETLOGS...

--

((  /\\  /\\ ||)  |\V/| /\\ /\\ >/  Principal Performance Engineer