Re: Oracle Webserver 3.0 Stability (none)

From: Rohrbacher, Ing. Boris <rohbo_at_sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:33:47 +0200

REALOG_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Does anyone else have a problem with the stability of the Oracle Webserver
> v3.0? We find ourselves bouncing it about twice a day due to a crash or a
> freeze, with no apparent cause. After we bounce we grep on any processes
> that may be lingering, and nothing is showing up that may have brought it
> down. The reason we are bouncing it is because it either stops responding,
> or has crashed on it's own. Any comments/suggestions/experiences would be
> much appreciated. Oracle Support says that 4.0 will remedy the stability
> problem, but this is getting tedious, and taking too much time on a daily
> basis.

We found out that a server crash can be caused by using get instead of postin an HTML form where any field has more than 255 chars to transmit.

We ran into this because a programmer mistyped "method" to "methode in a HTML FORM tag
<FORM METHODE=POST > instead of <FORM METHOD=POST > and therefore the browser didn't a post but a get request which is the default.
You can find out if this happens when you click SUBMIT on a form an the resulting location string in
the browser window is not only /package.procedure

Another cause has been a cursor loop where programmer forgot the exit clause to eventually stop fetch.

HTH.
 Robo