Re: Recovery question

From: Robin Bishop <rmb8_at_bton.ac.uk>
Date: 18 Jun 1998 15:59:40 GMT

I imagine this happens because the control file is in sync with the data file headers when a 'consistent' offline backup is performed. My understanding is that you need to restore the data files (and redo logs) from the backup but keep the control file from the time of the crash. That way Oracle knows the database is inconsistent and can roll forward to the point in time recorded in the control file.

I'd be interested to know the outcome, since I am planning to run some tests of this nature myself when I have a backup machine I can crash without risk to my production database! --
Robin Bishop
University of Brighton Computer Centre

Gilberto Casiraghi <edipi_at_candy.it> wrote in article <3584F996.41C0DC9B_at_candy.it>...
<snip>