Re: A move from UNIX to NT

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:06:09 +0200

Nigel Wingate wrote in message <3585fb84.355233832_at_news.mr.net>... <snipped>
>I foresee the following jobs:
>Install Oracle on NT
>Export the existing database to NT
>Re-compile all the COBOL programs for NT
>Convert the shell scripts to Korn Shell so they can run under MKS
>Toolkit on NT. Also adjust scripts for new paths, disks, directories,
>etc
>Test new system until it replicates old one
>Go live

If I may ask, what is the reason for moving it to NT? Running Unix Shells on NT is "nice", but not what NT was designed for. There are just too many differences in the basic operating system. How can you be sure that a script/Cobol command/function xyz on Unix is properly implemented on NT?

>love to hear from you. I can't be the first to do this and if there
>is any Web based documentation on how to do it, please point me in
>that direction.

Er... go to Yahoo and do a search on The Bible, The Tora, The Book of Mormon or whatever particular religion you subscribe to. Better yet, run the latest version of Microsoft Prayer in the background while doing the porting. You need -all- the help you can get. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 07:06:09 CDT