Recover Instance Problem

From: GT Jeff Cherer <gcherer_at_kraft.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:32:43 GMT

Here's one for y'all studying for the Oracle Backup/Recovery Exam. (Kinda like case 8 in oracle backup and recovery oreilly book)

we had to recover an instance. had good control files, good logs, but some of the tables got de-datafied. so, time to recover.

we restored from the cold backup the night before via the company standard script. -Whoooooops!!! we wrote over the current control files. that means, when oracle starts, he doesn't think he needs to apply any log files. we couldn't think of how to roll forward from last nite's control files using today's log files. i think it would have involved a "create control file" scenario, but i don't know anything about it - neither did the oracle support guy, nor the corporate oracle guru, and of course the business units weren't giving us time to admire the issues and ponder the perfect solution. we're lucky to still be alive and employed.

anybody with 20-20 hindsight on how we could have pulled that one off?? Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 19:32:43 CDT