Re: Trouble connecting from an ASP

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:23:11 +0200

Rob Crockett wrote in message <3586eaa4.13760176_at_news.znet.com>...
>Our application connects to Oracle 7.3.4 from Active server pages
>using ODBC and ADO 1.5. We are currently using the Microsoft ODBC
>2.73.728301 drivers since the Oracle drivers don't work for some of
>our processes. The scripting language we are using in the ASP pages
>is mostly Javascript, although we use VB script where Javascript won't
>work.

<snipped>
>Any ideas on how to debug this thing?

IIS runs in that special userid (can't remember the name). When an ASP is interpreted, that userid's environment is applicable for ODBC data source definitions, path to Oracle and other DLLs, access rights to files etc. etc.

So, you should logon as that user on the NT server and configure Oracle/ODBC/whatever for that user. Test the connectivity and the ODBC driver connection (Oracle ships an ODBC Test app with their ODBC driver). Once you have all that working, then you know that any Oracle ODBC process started in that userid will work.

As for ADO, I suggest using RDO instead. Even better, straight old-fashioned ODBC without the crappy involvement of the MS Jet Engine that just love to get involved and stuff up ODBC queries.

Oracle ODBC drivers - the better one is from Microsoft. Dump the one from Oracle - it's only good enough for playing around with MS-Access or Excel with data extracts from Oracle. The Microsoft driver seems to be much better and more robust (and gives better network performance too - check the rowsize settings when creating the DSN).

Hopes this help. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Jun 17 1998 - 07:23:11 CDT