Re: RAID vs Redo log mirroring

From: Edward Whalen <ewhalen_at_perftuning.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:46:17 -0500

Robin,
  You would get much better performance if you separated the redo log volume from your data volumes and used RAID-1 rather than RAID-5. There are two reasons for this. The first reason is that the redo log will be essentially doing sequential I/O's, which means little head movement on the drives, therefore those drives can handle more I/O's per second. By having data on the same volume you will be doing ramdom I/O's, thus you should limit the I/O's to about 75 I/O's per second per disk. The second reason is that RAID-5 is inherently slower on writes and writes is what the redo log does. By using RAID-1 on the redo logs you can achieve higher write performance than RAID-5. If your system is doing a significant amount of writing you may find yourself running out of I/O capacity very quickly using RAID-5. Ed

--
Edward Whalen
President