Re: Difference between "alter database archivelog" and "alter system archive log start"

From: <saropani_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:39:02 GMT

In article <3584bc52.84488_at_news.mindspring.com>,   robertch_at_mindspring.com wrote:

> When you issue "archive log list" command from the Server Manager, you
> get output that looks like this:
>
> SVRMGR> startup mount exclusive;
> ORACLE instance started.
> Total System Global Area 5508628 bytes
> Fixed Size 45584 bytes
> Variable Size 4529156 bytes
> Database Buffers 409600 bytes
> Redo Buffers 524288 bytes
> Database mounted.
>
> SVRMGR> archive log list;
> Database log mode No Archive Mode <---- LINE (1)
> Automatic archival Disabled <---- LINE (2)
> Archive destination %ORACLE_HOME%\database\archive
> Oldest online log sequence 21
> Next log sequence to archive 22
> Current log sequence 22
>
> When I tried "alter database archivelog", it changed output in Line
> (1) to "Archive Mode", but it did not have any effect on Line(2). On
> the other hand, "alter system archive log start" changed output in
> Line (2) to "Enabled", but did not have any effect on Line(1). What
> is the difference between these two commands? What the heck is
> happening in the database system level? Thank you very much in
> advance.

Hi Robert,

The command

       alter database archivelog;

changes the database in ARCHIVELOG mode. This is to ensure redo logs are archived before overwritten.

And, the command,

       alter system archivelog start;

starts automatic archiving. The database shd be in ARCHIVELOG mode. Please note that archiving can be manual also.

Hope this helps,
Saravanan