Re: Sizing spreadsheets

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:08:46 GMT

Hello!

What version of Oracle are you using? If you are using 7.3 or higher, then you really don't need to explicitly size each table and index extent. All segments (tables, indexes, rollback segments, temp segments) can be set to unlimited extents (which is actually something like 2.1 billion). Oracle recommends picking a "reasonable" extent size (we use 100K) and stick with it for every segment. This way, you eliminate the need to do reorgs because a standard extent size is tremendously more likely to be reused after being deallocated. It works for us. I haven't had to do a reorg in over a year!

If you are trying to estimate what the sizes will be (for disk purchase, etc.), then simply look at the size of the source data, or make a reasonable guess about the size and number of rows (then double it!).

Good luck,
Dave