Re: 3 tier installation

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:18:45 GMT

I don't think it's possible to answer this question in a newsgroup. There are volumes and volumes of books written on this topic. What is the application software? SAP, PeopleSoft, Baan, a homegrown variety? What application server (meaning software, not hardware) are you using? Did you write it or buy it? Does it use Corba, RMI, IIOP, etc.? Do the application server processes use database-level security or do they connect to the schema owner? Does the client piece of the app talk directly to the database (2-tier) or does it talk to the application server (n-tier)? Assuming it talks to the app server, how does it talk to the app server? Why use Oracle7.2 (desupported) rather than the current Oracle7 release, 7.3.4? Sorry, but there are many, many questions surrounding apps that are simple 2-tier, let alone n-tier.

Repost if you have some very specific questions. Hope this helped (in some way or another).

Regards,
Dave