Altering Rollback Segments Offline

From: <stuco_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:35:29 GMT

I have 16 rollback segments, but only need 5 of them. When I alter segments 6-16 using 'ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT RB# OFFLINE;', I verify the init*.ora to make sure that only segments 1-5 are listed.

Then I shutdown the instance, start it back up using the newly modified pfile.

BUT...... all 16 are back ONLINE!

Why does this happen and how can I alter them permenantly OFFLINE.

Thanking you in advance for all your help!

Stuart Cowen
Paladin Consulting - Dallas