Re: UNIX commands for new DBA

From: ORACLE_DBA <vkb_at_kali.cs.wayne.edu>
Date: 15 Jun 1998 16:11:50 GMT

HI, You need to know atleat the following commands

  1. ps -ef|grep for any process Usually you have to grep for DBWR, LGWR, SMON, PMON, as they are mandatory processes in order for ORACLE TO RUN
  2. df -k ( status of free space on various disks ) This command will be usefull especially to see if ARCHIVE LOG FILES are filling up a particular disk, datafiles sizes calculation
  3. iostat 5 6 To check the I/O of your system ( especially idle time )

4 ) vmstat 5 6
To check Virtual Memory Status of your system ( especially idle time )

5) sar -d

    sar -u
    etc..
System Activity Report very use full,

6) ipcs -MS
To check for Semaphore allocation & Shared Segment Allocation

7) dmesg for sytem information

8) du -k directory sizes

9) Ftp

  1. Telnet
  2. Rcp, cp, mv, mkdir, rmdir etc..

Hope this helps..

For more information reply to vijaybanda_at_yahoo.com

Regards

Vijay K Banda

The Dunn's <adunn_at_unicomp.net> wrote in article <35820879.8E6167F0_at_unicomp.net>...