Re: tablespace datafile sizes?

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/06/13

Peter Chan wrote:

> I read in an oracle performance tuning book that a datafile for a given
> tablespace should not exceed 500M, is that a good rule of thumb?

Obviously this is a bit overstated. There are systems with single tables that are over 1G.The company I work with has 10-20 tablespaces of about 10Gbytes each for the processing
database. The main warehouse is 500 Gbytes (with several tablespaces) and growing.

There are many tables in each space.

> Or can we make the tablespace 1G if necessary?
>
> Because I have a table that has grown to 500M and beyond and I would
> like to recreate it with an initial extent that would encompass the
> whole table, but a tables initial extent should not exceed the size of a
> tablespace datafile.
>
> So if I create a tablespace datafile that is 1G, then I could fit the
> entire table into the initial extent.

More to the question is should the initial extent by 500M??? Should the tablespace (andhence the table) be partitioned, I do not know. There are other questions such
as how is the information stored (RAID0-5, striping, etc), how big is the SGA, etc.
I have seen one system where the entire database resided in memory (30G). Obviously, this is less of an issue.

Other issues are the size of the any files including tablespaces, exports, etc.
Obviously, an issue if this is the case.

Mike Krolewski