Re: Disabling constraints - in order

From: Rich Richardson <therichardsons_at_tdi.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:33:01 -0400

Chris, I think I have what you may be looking for. Complete an export of the database with no rows (rows=n). Then do an import of the database with the flag show=y. This will not touch the database but will give you an output file (don't forget to log !!!) that will have the exact order that tables need to be in to maintain RI integrity. The Oracle Metal Link has a script for converting the log file to useful ddl. Hint: I have just done my import show=y and piped standard out to a file (Seems to be pretty close.

Next I would parse out the CREATE TABLE COMMANDS and then create a script based on on the following query:

        select 'alter table '||table_name||' disable constraint '||constraint_name||';' from user_constraints;

For ease you could load the names of the tables into a table and use a cursor for looping and creating one consistent spool file for disabling your constraints.

This is how I would attack this. A more unconventional way would be to run the above script without table order multiple times. This would eventually disable all constraints. The same for the application of constraints. As dependant constraints are applied others will alter without error.

Rich.