Re: Memory vs Database

From: Brian Cadwell <brian_at_cadwb.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:22:14 GMT

Are you sure this is memory?

On HPUX it could be the way your unix kernel is set up.

Make sure you have the recommended ( ideally higher) settings in your kernel for:

Maximum shared memory segment size ( SHMMAX) maximum number of shared memory segments (SHMMNI) Maximum number & size of semaphores ( SEMMNI etc)

I remember from my HP days these were always set in the HP kernel far too low to support Oracle.

If you're getting an error with the words "No Space left on device" in it ( I can't unfortunately remember the exact wording) then the above is certainly your problem. You'll need to re-configure your HP kernel and reboot.

Another possibility you might try is if you have the PRE_PAGE_SGA parameter set on your first database - try turning this off if you're desperate. Beware that there will be a performance hit on both databases if you do this.

BC

Brian Cadwell
Sharp Point Consultants

Anders Henriksson <anders.henriksson_at_mail.bip.net> wrote in article <01bd9565$ce04d2a0$5b62dcc1_at_ah.trx.sema.se>...