Re: num of blocks containing table data

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:59:17 GMT

A copy of this was sent to jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si (Jurij Modic) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:34:52 GMT, you wrote:

[snip]

>>I'm pretty sure the only way to get the number of blocks actually containing
>>data is to analyze the table and look at BLOCKS and EMPTY_BLOCKS in the
>>user_tables (or all_tables or dba_tables) views.
>
>Hm, I'm prety sure you are wrong about this one. BLOCKS column in
>USER/ALL/DBA_TABLES contains the information of the maximum number of
>blocks that were *ever* occupied in the particular table, i.e.
>highwatter mark. The same principle applies to the column
>EMPTY_BLOCKS. I checked this with various releases from 7.2.3 to
>7.3.4, I don't know if the situation is changed in release 8.

Your right, the EMPTY_BLOCKS is simply the highwater mark. EMPTY_BLOCKS will decrease as the HWM is increased and will only increase when you truncate the table....

[snip]

>Regards,
>Jurij Modic Republic of Slovenia
>jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si Ministry of Finance
>The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official
>standpoints of my employer

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jun 11 1998 - 08:59:17 CDT