Linguistic Sorting not possible with Unicode 2.0??

From: Ram Pudupet <rpudupet_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:38:51 -0700

Help!!
  We are developing an international application that will run against a Oracle 8 server. A decision has been made to use the Unicode charset 'UTF8' as the db charset. Oracle only supports the UTF-8 flavor of Unicode encoding which is a multibyte variable width char encoding scheme.
  In our application, we can set up the NLS_SORT parameter which will determine the type of sorting we want on our db columns.(NLS_SORT can be binary or language specific).
  Since we are going to be using multiple lanuages, we need linguistic sorting. However Oracle, says that if we use multibyte charsets, linguistic sorts cannot be used and that we are stuck with binary sorts. Is there a way out of this mess other than developing our own language specific sort routines?...
:-<Ram
rpudupet_at_hotmail.com
rpudupet_at_earthlink.net Received on Wed Jun 10 1998 - 17:38:51 CDT