Locks

From: <Joachim_Steuerwald_at_msg.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:30:39 GMT

Hi,

Oracle Server Concepts documentation claims that the only way to place share locks on a table is to make explicit use of the LOCK TABLE command. ( Recorded as TM-Type "S" locks in the ora_%%%.trc file )

Also, as I know, Oracle does not do any kind of lock escalation. Is there anything special concerning triggers and locking ?

I have no explanation why we encounter "S" and "SSX" table locks, while the basic DML (insert, update, delete) should only place "SX"- table locks ! We do not make use of "LOCK TABLE" (why should we ?) !

Any comments will be appreciated !

Thanks,

Joachim Steuerwald