Re: Workgroup or Enterprise?

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:00:45 +0200

allen lucas wrote in message <357E8FD5.1543_at_concentric.net>...
>The number of users is not the primary factor.
>
>Enterprise offers additional functionality, such as ability to handle
>distributed database, assyncronous replication, parallel query/server,
>and the ability to run Enterprise Manager Performance Pack.

Allen, not exactly.
You can handle some kinds of distributed databases with Workgroup Server also. WG Server contains distributed option, but does not contain Advanced Replication Option.
So with Worgroup you can work with master-slave distributed configuration with synchronous replication. In many cases it's enough. Next, you can run Enterprise Manager Performance Pack against Workgroup Server also. It is possible. The "only" problem is licencing (as I remember, several licences of Perf. Monitor must be bought).

On the other hand, if HP 9000 would be a platform, there's another problem with Workgroup Server. Workgroup Server is a rare kind of Oracle Serv. on unix platforms, especially RISC machines. The latest release for Workgroup on HP-UX is Oracle 7.3.2.3 (not very stable, some bugs with PL/SQL, poorly working with some pre-compilers & Dev/2000 rel 2.x).
Enterprise Server on HP-UX has much more stable 7.3.4 version or 8.0.4 if anyone wants to run on eight.
As I have seen, only NT platform has Workgroup server which is as good as appropriate Enterprise server release is. So if you really wanna HP-UX, rather think about licences for Enterprise Server...

Regards,
Piotr Kolodziej
--
 Piotr Kolodziej