Re: shared pool low??

From: <jlieto_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:45:23 GMT

If the shared pool is only a 100K free - it may be that you are using your Shared pool optimally. Check such things as reloads and parsing percentages. If these are both high - then definitely increase your Shared pool. There is no specific guidelines - just create a baseline and then modify and re-check until you have reached an acceptable percentage. Be careful not to use all of the available system memory or you will have another problem on your hands.

If your free buffers are always 0 then you need to check your db_block_buffer setting. You will need to increment but by how much is dependent on available system memory. You can use some init.ora parameters to help you determine the amount to increment by (the name escapes me right now but I think it is DB_BLOCK_LRU_EXTENDED_STATISTICS). These will tell you that if you increase your db_block_buffers by X amount you will receive x number of more hits in memory). Again, be careful not to cause system swapping/paging.

Joe Lieto
Redwood Solutions