Re: Oracle Enterprise Backup Utility (EBU)

From: Graham Jarvis <gjarvis_at_nospam.globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1998/06/09

I have implemented EBU on a number of databases and have found it particularly useful to standardise the methods used across the organisation (which previously consisted of a number of different shell-scripted methods.

A good benefit to those DBA's that have a separate UNIX support group is that EBU can give more control, without having to resort to calling on the Unix team to schedule new or extra backups (or recoveries !). Also, far more checking (eg. checksums) take place, which makes problems with the backups highly visible to the DBA.

The best advise that I can give is to ensure that you fully test the backup and recovery of your database with any new/updated version of EBU as there are some bugs (some of which Oracle would call 'features') which, although not usually serious, could still cause unnecessary stress during a real-life recovery. For example, I have found situations where point-in-time restore does not recover all of the files required to perform the necessary point-in-time recovery. Often, there are work-arounds for these problems.

Assuming that you are not constrained to an early version by your operating system, then use 2.1 or later, as these will backup the catalogue to tape following the database backup (meaning that you do not have to perform your own exports of the catalogue). Also, implementation of the later versions are more straight-forward.

At my site, we now have EBU running on HP, SUN and Sequent with Legato's Networker and OpenVision's Netbackup. With a variety of DLT devices.

Restore takes significantly longer than the backups. An example in one of our environments is a 150Gb database took 3.5 hours to backup, and 12.5 hours to restore. It is worth experimenting with different sized archivelog files.

Check with your potential backup API vendors whether their software allows for parallel recovery as well as parallel backup.

I believe that the initial implementation and testing will more than justify itself in ease of administration once you have procedures in place.

Hope this helps.

Remove 'nospam.' from the email address to reply